Sunday 17 April 2011

The Constant in Change

1988- I come in this world.
1991- Kinder Garden
1995- School
2004- Junior College
2006- Under Graduate
2009- Post Graduate
2010- MBA
2011- Summer Internship.....

These are some major changes that happened in my life till date. And with each one of this change the people in my life kept changing. Some friends stayed, some others moved on. Some became even more close. I met new people and worked with them.

But 10 months staying away from home, I realized that, whatever changes, there is one place that will always love you as much and always welcome you with open arms and will always treat you the same whether a prince or a pauper... Home. The constant factor in the change that our life is.

When I taught regression to my classmates, we used to easily ignore the constant in the equation and focus on the co-efficient. The change is what people normally focus on. I have to be ready for this change. Is my preparation enough? Am I capable of handling this change? Blah blah blah... But they take the constant for granted. And worse, they never appreciate it.

Home is that constant in anyone's life. How attached and how deeply embedded family values are, defines your core. People who follow the 'I am Ok. You are Ok.' line of thought usually come from a Happy Family. I always strongly disagree with people who say that XYZ is more important than family. Then that means You, my friend are messed up (or your home is).

We try to please the world and take for granted those who make us who we are. Take time off for them. Buy them gifts. Take them out to dinner. Laugh. Smile. Make them smile. Those jokes will become family jokes that only you and your siblings get. Play Dumb Charades of weird relatives. Play Antakshari. Appreciate the constant part of your life. The part that keeps you stable. The part of your life that you were born into and makes you unique.

Cheers to Happy Homes and Happy Families!

2 comments: